Thursday 6 September 2012

To be reviewed:

Sorry for that odd article I've posted up without explanation. Basically, I've been writing a column for this webzine, but I seem to have hit a brick wall and can't proceed beyond this bland structure, with appallingly bland sentences. So I thought it might be a good idea for me to open the floor and ask for people to comment on it (critically, if you have time), and I'm posting up my most recent article here and opening it to comments.

I'd appreciate it if any one would care to take the time to read it and tell me what can be improved on, and how I could go about doing it. Anything would do - you can do it on anon if you want to, or you can just tell me what you think about it if you don't know how to comment critically on it.

Everything not said in malice would be appreciated :) and I'll internet-hug you if I can't do it in real life!

Article below the cut:


Article: Setia City Mall.


Remember my mission statement from ages ago?

I wrote my first article sometime in December in a complete rush, submitting it when ReMag was still looking for contributors. My friend had only told me about it a week before the deadline, I had no idea what to write or how to write it, and I had to submit my entry days before the deadline, right before I was to leave for Australia for a holiday. So the three days I had to write that article were spent jotting down ideas on slips of used receipts amidst many cups of tea, with me alternating between Charlie Brooker’s articles and Simon Amstell’s ‘Do Nothing’ in an attempt to center myself and find something, a voice and a firm direction I’d be happy to take out of the infinite number of ways I could have steered that article, and all subsequent articles. I honestly didn’t know where I was going then, and could only consult foggy possibilites from the crystal ball when it comes to the general arc of articles ‘about fashion’ that I’d feel comfortable writing in the future. In the end, I seemed to have settled for a vague persona of an ‘outsider to fashion’ (mostly what it represents), and saw myself as being what Charlie Brooker was to the tv industry, with the influence of a few other writers thrown in. I may have envisioned myself trekking to places in my boots, vigorously providing an alternative view to what all the local fashion blogs are saying. I’ve mentioned wanting a more intelligent discourse about fashion, but I’ve also talked about navigating the scene and wanting to talk about different places, methods, or ways to shop, the chief motive basically being to somehow maximise utility. 
Well, it seems like I’ve diverged a little from the second statement and stuck to trying to appease the first, having steeped my toes and weaved things like economic theories, Vivienne Westwood, modern philosophy, and sociology into the things I’ve written, throwing in one or two articles likethis or this. To be honest, at the end of the month, I’d mostly just write that things that felt appropriate, sometimes consulting a list of possible articles I’ve drafted soon after I’ve written my first article. I’m not very good at being a ‘fashionista’, I’m not into Lookbooks or women’s magazines (I think latter are scums of the earth, frankly), so I’ve stuck to what interests me - theories. 
But on that note, here’s some diversion to something more thematic - places to shop. 
Setia City Mall.
What makes a good mall? 
The answer to that would depend on your personal preference, really. Some people prefer mega malls, sprawling megaliths that could almost be villages in themselves, while others would prefer someplace less boisterous, messy, or tiring. Personally, I’ve realised that I tend to find myself in smaller, less complicated malls in the capital when given a choice. Someplace like KLCC, places that aren’t too complicated but have most things I’d go to a mall for. Which is probably why I found myself liking Setia City Mall so much.
It’s a relatively new mall opened this year that might not get as much fanfare as it should because it’s in Setia Alam, somewhere in Shah Alam that isn’t quite in KL. But it’s a great mall otherwise (it’s arguable whether not being in KL is a detriment in the first place), having most of your favourite stores, from high street clothing brands like Uniqlo, Zara, and Cotton On to sporting staples like Adidas, Nike and Puma stores. They probably have the best selection of shoe shops I’ve seen anywhere (given the size of the mall itself), and some of the less (locally) established shops are just inspired - special mention to Typo, Cube, and Miss T for being generally affordable and above their league. They also have an admirable selection of restaurants for a mall of their size; frankly, there isn’t anything to complain about in terms of their retailers, except I resent the fact that they only have one measly MPH store to serve as the only bookshop in the building - this, sadly, isn’t quite the place for bibliophiles to gather around, which is a shame, given its other features. 
I’ve already had a vague notion that they’ve got a garden (I’ve never had time to go outside), but the extra research I did blew me away. The mall has 10.5 acres of surrounding parklife, centered (I gather) around the concept of the mall being a hub for the growing Setia Alam community, which, given the fact that parking is so readily available (2500 parking bays) and our existing mall culture, is quite cleverly done. They haveelaborate playgrounds any child should be proud of, a water jet plaza (I almost don’t know what that is), and plans for alfresco eateries. All of this sounds so outrageous and everything seemed so well-planned that I feel like I’m either on hallucinogenic substances or am in a dream (playgrounds with five zones? A water jet plaza? 10.5 acres of parklife, and outdoor dining? Is this the real life?). Of course, I’ve never been there, so reality might not be as stellar as it sounds. They’ve also got a cinema (GSC) and a bowling alley too, which in themselves aren’t very creative things to have in Malaysian malls (with our prevailing mall culture, which will be fodder for another day), but they’re in line with the idea of making Setia City Mall a hub for the Setia Alam community.
I’m still struck by the fact that everything seems so well-planned and well-designed. Even before having looked up the mall on the internet, casual observations while strolling through the mall have given me that impression - the decent chairs liberally strewn around the mall for tired shoppers certainly stood out from their impractical cousins in other bigger malls. The mall seems to have been designed with comfort and practicality in mind - the general effect is quite aesthetically pleasing. And to take your impression of ‘well-planned’ to another level, have a look at their Green features
Being a community mall, it would decidedly be the David to Goliaths like Sunway Pyramid and MidValley Megamall, but its size and its astoundingly good retailers would mean that I’d be able to find everything I want rather quickly here, which is saying something for a picky shopper who takes forever to decide before buying things, and who managed to buy everything necessary before going abroad to study in one afternoon nonetheless. With this advantage, coupled with everything I’ve mentioned above and the additional perk of it not being too crowded even during weekends, there really is no reason why you shouldn’t give this mall a go, despite its location. Try planning something that would involve spending some time in the gardens. Have fun!
Location of the mall can be found here.
Image taken from here.
Mei Yen is still busy with pre-university preparations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment