Monday 20 June 2011

A diversion, and then a banal bit of me telling you something about me.

In truth, writing the UndiMalaysia blogpost and then putting it up on facebook, then tagging a stupid amount of people, scares me immensely. I spent the last two days stupidly avoiding social networking sites, and hating the fact that from certain (many) angles, this looks to me like self-aggrandizement. The fact that it will most probably be on Loyarburok, I try not to think of.

But I do believe it's a groundbreaking campaign, though I don't quite know how to articulate it.
Don't you see how this might shift the focus from politics of drama to the real nitty-gritty? Less brilliant orators, more people who are actually fit to be given the power we're now giving politicians? Politics as it is now, even in the US/UK, is flawed because our natures are such that only great orators captivate us, and though human nature is such that it will never really be remedied, this campaign is a reminder that the policy bits are important too. I'll bring up Nazi Germany as being at least partly due to dangerous orators, but my earnestness must already be repelling. In short - great campaign that in retrospect, I'd gladly be emotionally distressed about, and one that I hope will move in the right direction.

Back to what I'm really here for: these sentences caught my eye when I was reading Doetstovsky's The Brother Karamazov -

Where will this slave go now that he is so accustomed to satisfying the innumerable needs he himself has invented?
They have succeeded in amassing more and more things, but have less and less joy.
I cut away my superfluous and unnecessary needs.

These days, I have this anathema for buying things I don't really need.
I'm more acutely aware of the subtle sort of unhappiness it causes, turning every decision to purchase one where I ask myself if I'll be really happy with owning that thing. The phrase 'the weariness of every new possession' resonates with me.
Even keeping things I don't really need has this underlying sort of unhappiness that permeates silently through daily life, in that subconscious, sneaky way of it.
The idea of Dessert Island possessions, only keeping things really of use; things that, given limited space, I'd bring to a Dessert Island, seems like a sort of heaven to be attained. But this instinct to possess holds me back, with the argument that I might need it in the future.
But well, moments ago I'm irritated by a piece of paper I don't really need, so I suppose it's junking-time soon.

For some reason I know that people will hate me for this, although I'm not extending my preference to others. Happiness manifests in different forms for everyone, and we do what it takes to attain it - mine just seems to be only owning things I need on more than a superficial level.

No comments:

Post a Comment