Wednesday 2 November 2011

Wherein I discover that there might a tumblr-blog for every conceivable thing in the universe.

Now, about tumblr.
I don't quite understand tumblr, this complex system of pictures and reposts and 'likes'.
It seems to be mostly about re-posting pretty pictures that resonates with you. Now, re-posting pretty pictures made by other people doesn't seem like the best way to explain yourself, which is surely what a blog is about? It seems to be an amalgamation of pictures you find pretty, which is alright for those who wants to collect pretty pictures. But everything doesn't seem quite original, doesn't seem very expressive. Or maybe I'm narcissistic enough to think that having an original voice is necessary for self-expression.
It's just not for me I suppose. Wrong medium of expression - pictures instead of words. I love frolicking about with words, which is why this blog has little to no pictures. Here I should apologise to the ADD ones amongst you looking for a picture or two to give relief to the monotoneous black-and-white. I am sorry if you should one day snap from the strain of it, and go into a nervous breakdown. I try to make things better by embedding in YouTube videos which I have no doubt you would never watch.

But while postulating that I might be the secret love child of David Mitchell and Zooey Deschanel that turned out to look strangely Chinese (why am I typing in such a tedious form today? Postulating?), I turned to google to see if anyone else has used that comparison before.
This is when I found a whole tumblr-blog dedicated to David Mitchell.
It is scary, it is obsessive. It's also glorious.
Reading it, continuously clicking on the 'next' button, will making you hate yourself for procrastinating whatever you're supposed to be doing, and because this reminds you of something a crazy-stalker-fan would do. But a place filled with gifs, pictures, and quotes of David Mitchell being funny, with the occasional video thrown in? It can only be described with the word 'Hallelujah!'.
I am now quite, quite convinced that there is a suitable David-Mitchell-expression for every occasion.

But think about it - if there is a whole tumblr-blog devoted to David Mitchell, there must be tumblr-blogs in the tumblr-world out there devoted to just about anything in the universe.
Pens. Notebooks. Handphones. Every celebrity of any significance, even dead ones or fictional ones. Tea. Politicians. Uranus, Mars, Neptune, Jupiter. Other stellar systems. The meaning of life, the universe and everything.
And of course, naturally, tumblr-blogs made by individuals who decided to have an tumblr blog dedicated to chronicle their lives, like how I decided to have a blog dedicated to chronicle my life.
(Oh god, now that I've put it that way, I sound incredibly narcissistic.)

But isn't that a slightly scary thought, the notion that just about everything has a tumblr-blog dedicated to it?


No comments:

Post a Comment