Tuesday 18 October 2011

#1

'I never approve, or disapprove, of anything. It is an absurd attitude to take towards life. We are not sent into the world to air our moral prejudices.' 

Well, you've probably heard of The Picture of Dorian Gray (where the above quote is from) and The Importance of Being Earnest. But while going through a copy of his selected works I have lying around, I read The Canterville Ghost, a charming short story that made me laugh. It's so unconventional, it reminds me of Douglas Adams' short stories. I mean, who would think of treating scary phantoms the way they did in the short story? Full of humour, pathos, and unconventionality. And it's a short story, which, in this age where the average attention span is that of a hyperactive puppy, might be a charming quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment