Sunday 23 October 2011

Saturday.



I've finally got around to buy this. It's slightly unforgivable, because I saw this in the bookshop about a month ago.
As far as I can tell, it isn't very well written, but Einstein is my personal hero, and any book about him that's more than 700 pages thick is worth the 30 odd ringgit I paid for it.


I spent the last few minutes of my teenage years watching this episode of Would I Lie to You: 


Now, this constant posting up of comedic panel shows and well, Youtube clips of comedic shows in general, AND the lack of any camwhore pictures wherein I smile and frolic about in the sun doing banal things with my friends, would make you think that I'm a sad nerd and the only thing I do is watch comedy shows at home alone. 
That's where you're wrong. 
Because I devote some time to my legal studies too. 

But while watching the smexy Victoria Coren, and all the other smart funny people on the show, I realise I go about interacting with the world like a plank of wood would. Well, a plank of wood that has to walk about. Yeah, I would be as awkward as that. 
This realisation isn't newborn or anything, but I saw the show and while marvelling at the absolute beauty of it, thought 'oh God, those people are so smart! So funny, and so socially graceful! How do they do that?' And then I reflect on my own acute deficiencies and go sulk about in a corner like Marvin the Paranoid Android.

How do you get social grace? Are you born with it? Do you inherit it from your parents, like curly hair or skin colour? Did they put you in a class for it at school, a class I somehow missed?
Because for as long as I can remember, I've been that awkward one that never knows how to act normal. Even if I do manage to stimulate it, I'd feel dead inside, which is no way to go about life. 
And I'm a stickler for sincerity, which I suspect might be a 'problem'. Not one I'd willingly fix, I'd admit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment