Friday 28 October 2011

Wherein I insert in a bunch of links. But still no pictures though.

Remember the cooking thing I was supposed to do?
We settled on Dauphinoise potatoes - lovely things, imagine baked potato with a healthy (well, not healthy if you're talking about cholesterol levels) dose of cream and garlic.
But when I called up my friend on Tuesday, it turns out she has forgotten about it and was en route to Johor.
Now, I don't want to comment on the fact that an increasing number of my friends are seemingly ditching me to do other things, as evidenced from previous blog posts. It's just a coincidence, I swear. I am absolutely confident. No, really.
Or maybe I should throw in the towel, buy utensils, and start making yummy things by myself. This shortbread recipe looks easy, if only I had a baking tray and a rolling pin. Mmm, shortbread.

But anyway, these days I'm alternating between studying (I have tons of assignments to read up for) and putting off studying, and my new favourite way to put off studying is by reading things from The Guardian's Life and Style page. And I've just discovered its makeup column..
I don't like makeup much - it makes me tired, and it's an expectation imposed on me by other people. The best way to get me to hate something is by making it do it. And I'm sufficiently removed from concrete things that any activity requiring me to focus on my face irritates me.
But I saw this picture of lovely dark blue eye make up, and realise that this, is actually art. Just look and tell me you don't find this gorgeous. Absolutely elegant.
Makeup might just be an art form, an outlet for creative expression; not a bastation for the blonde and the vacuous, and liking makeup does not mean that I'm automatically joining their fraternity. Although why I didn't realise that earlier beats me - I have a friend who is a wizard at makeup and fashion, and she's far from being vacuous.
And it helps that The Guardian's column doesn't run like those in most beauty magazines I've read. Beauty magazines irritate me, but this column is so comforting I can read it to procrastinate.

It's Sali Hughes' beauty column on The Guardian, and this is the article with the aforementioned smexy eye-makeup.

*But then again, with my unrestrained fawning over dark eye makeup, the last time I had dark eye makeup on and went home, mum saw me, and in between laughs, asked if I had been punched the the eye(s). You be the judge: a picture, that also has the benefit of proving my existence. And that I can be pretty if I want to. I'm the one on the left of the picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment